By using this website, you consent to our use of cookies. For more information on cookies see our privacy policy page.

Text Size: a a
HomeA-Z IndexSubscribe/RSS Contact Us Twitter logo small white bird

Right of Access

Rights of Access 

Under Data Protection legislation, individuals have a right to obtain from the Department of Agriculture, Food and the Marine, a copy of any personal information held on them on computer or structured filing system.  This is commonly referred to as a Subject Access Request.

How to make a request

In order to obtain copies of personal data held by the Department a request must be made in writing seeking the information.

Requesters can be asked to provide additional details that may be necessary to locate the records, such as herd number, personnel number or PPSN. It may be necessary to obtain proof of identity and address to ensure that the person making the access request is acting legitimately.

Requests should be sent to the following address:

Data Protection Officer,
Data Protection Unit,
Department of Agriculture, Food and the Marine,
Pavilion A,
Grattan Business Centre,
Dublin Road,
Co. Laois,
R32 K857.



A Subject Access Form is available to assist you - Subject Access Request Form (doc 64Kb)   

Is there a fee?

There is no fee applicable under GDPR to make an access request for your own personal data, unless the request is considered manifestly unfounded or excessive.

Should the request be considered to be manifestly unfounded or excessive the following fees may apply:

  • Search, retrieval and copying of records: €20.00 per hour
  • Photocopy: €0.04 per sheet
  • CD Rom: €10.00

When should a response be issued?

Under the General Data Protection Regulation the information requested must be provided within one month.  Where requests are complex or involve a large number of requests this time limit may be extended for a further two months.

Are there exceptions to the right of access?

Some exceptions do apply to the release of data including access to third party data, legally privileged data, data required for the prevention, investigation or prosecution of criminal offences.

Right of Appeal

If the Department fails to comply with a valid data access request, the requester has the right to make a complaint to the Data Protection Commission. The Commissioner will investigate the matter and has wide powers to ensure the Department complies with the provisions of the Acts. Financial penalties can be imposed.

Complaints should be made in writing, including email, to the Data Protection Commission at:

Data Protection Commission,
Canal House,
Station Road,
Co. Laois.
R32 AP23
Tel: 057 868 4800
      076 110 4800      

Further Information

The website of the Data Protection Commission at is an excellent source of information. They can also provide information by phone or email.