The security of electronic information is very important to the Department of Agriculture, Food & the Marine.
To help protect yourself and your information, this section offers some practical security advice on using computers and the Internet. It is important to take these sensible steps to minimise the risk to your computer and your personal information.
- DO install suitable anti-virus and anti-spyware software
- DO install a firewall on your computer
- DO install regular updates on your anti-virus, firewall and anti-spyware software
- DO keep your internet browser up to date and install regular updates
- DO use passwords to protect your computer and change your passwords regularly
- DON'T reveal your password to anyone else; it allows that person to act on your behalf
- DON'T install software on your computer unless it comes from a reliable source
- DON'T install unlicensed software
- DON'T respond to e-mails asking for personal or banking details
- DON'T open an e-mail attachment unless you know what it contains and unless it comes from someone you know
The Department of Agriculture, Food & the Marine supports the MakeITSecure campaign.
This is an initiative aimed at providing advice on protecting your information when using computers and the Internet. Click on the link below for more details.