The Bioenergy Scheme provides establishment grants to farmers to grow miscanthus and willow for the production of biomass suitable for use as a renewable source of energy. The Scheme aims to increase the production of willow and miscanthus in Ireland and to encourage alternative land use options. It is open to applicants who are landowners or have leasehold title to the land and have responsibility for farming the land on which it is proposed to carry out the plantation. Commonage shares, rented lands and grazing rights are not eligible for payment under the Scheme.
Aid is payable on 50% of the approved costs associated with establishing the crop, subject to a maximum payment rate of €1,300 per hectare, with the balance to be invested by the applicant. Eligible costs include those associated with ground preparation, fencing, vegetation control, the purchase of planting stock and planting.
Areas planted with willow and miscanthus also qualify for the Single Farm Payment and payments under the REPS and Disadvantaged Areas Scheme, subject to some restrictions on the areas planted.
- Applications for establishment grants are subject to a pre-planting approval process;
- Applications will be prioritised having regard to the Selection Criteria set out in the Scheme's Terms and Conditions;
- The minimum allowable area per applicant is 3 hectares and the maximum is 30 hectares;
- Applicants must submit evidence of linkages with end-users to use the biomass crop as a source of bioenergy;
- Items invoiced, delivered or purchased, and payments made, prior to the issue of Pre-Planting approval are not eligible for grant aid;
Applications for pre-planting approval should be submitted to Biofuels Policy Unit, Department of Agriculture, Fisheries and Food, Kea-Lew Business Park, Mountrath Road, Portlaoise, Co. Laois. Telephone 057- 8692231/057 8692240
- Bioenergy Scheme 2013 Terms and Conditions (doc 498Kb)
- Bioenergy Scheme Pre-Planting Approval Application Form 2013 (doc 463Kb)
- Bioenergy Scheme 2013 Best Practice Manual for Willow (pdf 9,014Kb)
- Bioenergy Scheme 2013 Best Practice Manual for Miscanthus (pdf 4,898Kb)