All proposed forestry developments must receive the prior written approval of the Forest Service. Any development, which proceeds without such approval will not be eligible for grant assistance.
If you are interested in proceeding with an application for any of the schemes, please first contact either a Registered Forester or your local Teagasc advisor.
Application for Pre-Planting Approval - Form 1.
All form 1 applications must be completed by the applicant and a Forester, who is on the List of Registered Foresters. This list is available on this website or on request from the Forest Service. The required documents for each individual scheme are outlined on the application forms.The application is processed by the Forest Service and assigned a unique Forest Service reference number known as Contract No. Form 1 applications go through the following procedures:
- The application is referred to the relevant Forest Service Inspector for assessment and recommendations.
- If there are any environmental considerations identified the application is referred to the relevant external body, e.g. National Parks and Wildlife Services, National Monuments Service, Regional Fisheries Boards, Local Authorities, etc., for consideration.
- If the proposed development is greater than 25 hectares the application is referred to the relevant Local Authority.
- If the site is greater than 2.5 hectares the application is advertised on the Departments website.
- If the site is greater than 50 hectares an Environmental Impact Assessment and planning permission are required.
If the Forest Service Inspector identifies environmental considerations omitted from the original application, the proposal must go through the appropriate referral procedure.
When the application is approved, a letter issues detailing the conditions of approval and the approved specifications for the proposed development.
Pre-planting approval is subject to the applicant using the Registered Forester who prepared the Form 1 application to carry out/oversee the actual works.
Any queries in regard to the above may be addressed to the following persons @ Local No. 1890 200 223 or at the Forest Service, Department Agriculture, Food and the Marine, Johnstown Castle Estate, Co. Wexford.
- Claire Walsh: 053 - 9162188
- Mark O'Connor: 053 - 9160202
- Caroline O Connell: 053 - 9160195
Following completion of the works, formal applications for payment of the Afforestation Grant, Premiums and Maintenance Grants must be made by the applicant.