Irish Codex Advisory Committee (ICAC)
To provide a forum to enable all relevant government departments/agencies, NGO’s, consumers and industry bodies to make known their views, in a structured way, for consideration in the formulation of the official national position on all Codex issues.
- Advise on the implications of the food standardisation and control measures being elaborated by the Codex Alimentarius Commission (CAC) and its various subsidiary committees and how best to achieve Ireland’s strategic objectives.
- Inform industry/consumers on the implications of Codex measures.
- Identify and discuss priority issues/sessions from an Irish perspective, particularly those of a horizontal nature.
- Guide the preparation of replies to Codex Circular Letters – directly or input to EU reply.
- Advise on composition of Irish delegation to various Codex sessions.
- Ensure consistency in approach across the different Codex Committees.
Mode of Operation
The ICAC meets as required which tends to be approx. 4 times per year. Apart from general issues to be identified by the Chair on an on-going basis, the following are placed as standing items on the agenda of all meetings:
- Consideration of the agendas of the most relevant Codex sessions taking place before the next meeting of the ICAC.
- Consideration of reports of Irish delegates who attended Codex sessions that took place since the preceding ICAC meeting.
Link with the Codex Contact Point (CCP)
While not formally part of the ICAC, the CCP acts as secretariat to the Committee and as advisor on general/procedural matters relating to Codex.
Irish Codex Contact Point Details:
Research & Codex Division
Department of Agriculture, Food and the Marine