Careers in the Laboratory Services
What we do
- Regulatory Science – Veterinary, Agricultural and Food disciplines.
- Test for known diseases, infections and toxins.
- Confirm that animals, plants and food meet regulations and safety requirements.
- Prepare for and mitigate against new risks and diseases.
- Support farmers, exports and the consumer.
- Protect the food chain and the environment.
- Monitor the status of Ireland as being free of certain diseases.
The laboratory services operate in the Central Laboratory Campus located in Backweston, Celbridge, Co. Kildare, together with a number of regional laboratories in Athlone, Cork, Kilkenny, Limerick and Sligo.
- Laboratory testing of diagnostic samples.
- Nationwide surveys of plants and livestock.
- Perform regulatory, National Reference Laboratory and Quality Control roles.
- Develop new methods and tests using the most modern technologies.
- Research – staff are encouraged to develop and engage in research relevant to the work of the laboratories. We collaborate with academic and industrial partners and state agencies in Ireland and Europe. The Department facilitates and funds staff to undertake part-time postgraduate qualifications.
Roles in the Laboratories include:
Environmental and analytical chemistry
Veterinary Research Officer
Seed testing and certification